Friday 16 September 2011

Timing belt ?? how much to fix ?

I have a 2003 Honda civic, and would like to ask about how much should it cost to have the timing belt changed ($400-$500 ???) ... and should I also have all my water pumps and hoses replaced at the same time as that everything is out of the way to have those things replaced while the engines out.Timing belt ?? how much to fix ?Damn I don't know where JS buys his parts but its a whole lot cheaper than I pay even with my shop rate...

Expect the labor to be about $500, the pump will be about $70. You can get a crappy Autozone pump for $50. Change the belt and the tensioner. Figure around $70 for that as well. Although for the 1.7 I have paid as much as $100 for the belt and tensioner. That's kinda what your looking at. A shop will mark up those prices and you will most likely pay about $125 for belt kit and $95 for the pump. On top of the labor. I don't let customers bring in their own parts. Too many problems with cheap part failures.
Timing belt ?? how much to fix ?
I don't think you need to remove the engine to replace the timing belt, you have to pull the water pump anyway and the hoses are easy I would say the 400 to 500 range is close not counting parts.
Timing belt ?? how much to fix ?
Thats about right..

Remember most of the cost is for labor.

The belt is about $15 and the water pump is about $30.. If you have the service book, time and a warm area to do it - do it yourself.. Its an easy fix... EDIT: CHOCKO - I just check my receipts. This was 2 years ago.. My timing belt was 20 bucks and my water pump was $36 at Discount Auto Parts here in S. Florida.
I don't know how much the cost would be for your car, but I have a suzuki grand vitara, and it is going to cost me about $1000. as far as your water pump and hoses, you should have them replaced if they need it, otherwise if they are in good condition why spend the money.
Get some price quotes.. It won't be cheap, and you should go

with original equipment parts for this job. But it is in your best

interest to do a little shopping. Unless that is, you have a trusted

mechanic that you've been using for a while.



Good luck to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment