Wednesday 21 September 2011

Anyone ever have a timing belt break on a 2004 1.6L KIA engine?

My brother has a 2004 Kia Rio with a 1.6L Mi-Tech engine. He has somewhere between 80k-90k miles on it. He knew it said to change the timing belt at 60k. Well he didn't... and I have already told him he was dumb so please spare me your insults.



Ok here is my question and I only want answers from people who have experienced a broken timing belt on a 1.6L kia engine.

Does it damage the valves and/or pistons?



The above was my question, the following is optional reading if anyone cares about details.





I have called several Kia dealers and these are the responses I got.

2 said yes

1 said %26quot;Kia tells us it is an interference engine, but I never had one come in that was broken so I don't know for sure%26quot;

another one said %26quot;NO, not on the 4 cylinder engines%26quot;



I know quite a bit about cars, but I have never changed a timing belt on a Kia before.

Here are the facts and what I have read.

Someone on the internet stated they had a 2004 Kia Rio and the timing belt broke and they got it replaced and the car runs fine. But that was pretty much what they wrote no other details about what else was broke or what else was fixed.

I have read many posts that imply the valves break and damage the pistons, but none were on the same year or the same engine. But everyone of those posts said they knew there was damage because they either heard it or the motor was locked.

My Brother's car spins over very fast and smoothly just like a non-interference engine does when the belt breaks.

He was in a residential area driving about 25mph when it broke so he was probably turning somewhere around 2000rpms.

People have asked how fast the motor was turning when the belt broke I really don't understand why that even matters. it is either an interference engine or it is not right?

If the chain snaps on a bicycle the travel of the pedals are still limited to what they were before the chain broke reguardless of how fast you are pedaling. So I really don't see the difference in 600rpms and 4000rpms if it will cause damage it will cause damage at idle too, but I do understand the faster it is going the harder things will slam, so it may cause more damage, like valves breaking completely off and getting jammed in pistons and bending rods, etc...



So yeah. Anyone who has had a timing belt actually break on a kia 1.6L preferably a 2004 rio please let me know what the damage was if any.

And if you did anything more than change the belt did you do it as a precaution because it was recommended or did you do it because it was actually needed?Anyone ever have a timing belt break on a 2004 1.6L KIA engine?Many Japanese and other engines are interference fit engines. The best thing to do is to change your timing belt and hope for the best. Once it is changed and a problem appears, you can easily remove the head and other things to repair the problem. Kia engines are more like Toyota engines. They do NOT have interference fit engines (in most of them, anyway). If there is any damage, it is usually valves that bend and need replacing. Good Luck!!
Anyone ever have a timing belt break on a 2004 1.6L KIA engine?
certain engines if the timing belt breaks it can bent some of the valves but some dont so if you try turn the engine over and it is jamed your valves are bent if the engine still turns over then just get the timing belt done and it will be fine
Anyone ever have a timing belt break on a 2004 1.6L KIA engine?
go to the auto zone web site you mite find some info or get a repair book

No comments:

Post a Comment