Saturday 24 September 2011

How much do these repairs cost on a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT?

Hello,



I have a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT with almost 90,000 miles. I've been told that it's almost time for my timing belt to be changed (I actually think it doesn't need to be until 120,000 miles so maybe my mechanic is trying to rip me off?). The estimates have ranged from $400 to $1000. Who is right? I know that I can get the actual part for $55, as well as a timing belt tensioner for $69. Also, my car idles pretty rough and shifts and downshifts pretty rough sometimes (even though it's an automatic) but I rebuilt the transmission about a year ago. Could my oxygen sensors be bad? My ex-mechanic boyfriend thinks so, or something with the fuel intake. Oxygen sensors run for about $82, but how much would a mechanic charge? I just want to know what to expect when I go into a shop if these 3 things actually need to be replaced. Thanks to anyone who knows!How much do these repairs cost on a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT?I wouldn't take a chance on the timing belt and tensioner. If it goes, you'll bend valves at the very least. Probably ought to go for a water pump while you're there, since you have to take the same stuff off to get at that. Did it myself not long ago, and it was kind of a pita getting the pulley and motor mounts off. Of course mine are probly a lot rustier than yours.....



Rough running could be almost anything. If its sensors, those will show up in the trouble codes, which you can get scanned for free at Autozone. I would guess something else, because bad O2 sensor should light up the check engine light.



The guys in the neons.org forums have been a lot of help to me with my '96.
How much do these repairs cost on a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT?
Unfortunatley the problems you have discussed are typical of dodge neons. Around 100,000 is about time for everything to go. Transmission and head gasket included. Take it to someone you trust or shop around a bit.
How much do these repairs cost on a 2003 Dodge Neon SXT?
Timing belt and tension-er, around $600. As for idle problems and downshifting, O2 sensor will not be at fault, more the transmission or torque converter.

No comments:

Post a Comment