Saturday 24 September 2011

Help with timing belt? Mazda Protege?

I am purchasing a 2002 Mazda Protege tomorrow at a dealer, the car has 132,000 miles on it and I asked them if they knew if the timing belt had been changed. They said they have no clue. Will it be risky to drive the car, or should I be ok? Do quick lube stations such as %26quot;Mobile 1, Midas, Oil can Henry's%26quot; check timing belts and replace them? If so how much about would it cost to get it replaced?Help with timing belt? Mazda Protege?Some those quick lube station can change it. But it should be fine. Some go over 200,000 miles
Help with timing belt? Mazda Protege?
If this is the FS-DE engine (2.0 liters, no distributor), the worst that can happen is it breaks and you get stranded somewhere. (This is not an interference-fit engine.)



Had I a car like this (which I did, come to think of it - this was the engine in my '00 626) I'd have the water pump replaced at the same time, just as a precaution. You're looking at maybe $300-400 total, since it takes a couple of hours to get the old one out and the new one in.
Help with timing belt? Mazda Protege?
The belt should have been inspected at 60,000 and replaced by 105,000. You could check if the dealer will have it replaced at a very reasonable price, maybe contingent on the sale.



Book time is about 2 hours labor, but can be done in less.



For peace of mind I would replace it.
a timing belt is not a quick fix job like an oil change. It will cost several hundred dollars. I hope you are getting a really great deal on that Protege (less than $2300) since it has so many miles on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment