Saturday 24 September 2011

I don't how much I should charge my neighbor...?

My neighbor has an 91 GEO Prizm. Three months ago he called me to see what was wrong with his vehicle. It needed just a tune up so I did it and replaced also the spark wires. They still need to give me $33 to finish paying for the parts. The lady said she would within a couple of days but she never paid. Actually, they were a both avoiding me, but I didn't think of their action that way.

Two days ago, he came to my house and asked me if I can go pull him 7 miles back home. The vehicle was 25 miles south and the timing belt needs to be replaced. I don't want to charge him for the towing. I want also to give him a break as she works at the gas station and he is on a low income . I normaly charge $53/hr. I would do it for free, but I am struggling myself with all the bills I have.

How much should I ask to change the timing belt? As I want to ask him to pay me up front this time...

Thank youI don't how much I should charge my neighbor...?Tell him your fee and then tell him how much you are willing to take off but that since he still hasn't paid for the other parts, you will require payment up front. If he fusses, just say fine. He won't be able to get the job done anywhere else. The guys taking advantage of you and will suck you dry if you let him which makes you the sucker. What has he ever done for you?
I don't how much I should charge my neighbor...?
just ask him to pay half of what you would normally charge, plus your 33.00. he shouldnt get anything done for him unless he pays for the things that you have done in the past. if you let him get away with it, then he will do it for as long as you are neighbors. stand up and get that money!
I don't how much I should charge my neighbor...?
ask them to give you what they can...

It might make them feel guilty about not paying you last time.

This is a hard situation.

You seem like a great guy who helps out his neighbors and they seem like an elderly couple trying to make it as well.

Put the receipt for the timing belt and also the parts for the first repair in their mailbox and leave a note saying that you would appreciate them paying you whenever they get the chance.

Dont get taken advantage of though. Next time something happens with their car, remind them kindly that they never paid you for the previous repairs. Let them know that you also work for a living and this is how you pay your bills as well.
you sound like a a kind soul

just tell him the part he needs ask him to go get it then you will fi it that way you wont be out of pocket but can still do it as a good turn
You've got a friend for life now! Set a fair price, one you can live with and he can afford. After payment, just tell him you no longer plan on doing any repair work ouside of your regular job. And,he should call there when he needs help.
You could charge him half price which would be about $26 for the labor/tow. Charge him for the timing belt as well (at least half of it).Tell him you're giving it to him half price because he's your neighbor, but also tell him that he needs to pay you the $33 he still owes. If you want to make it more complicated, you could always ask him for the $33 before you work on his car plus whatever you charge him to fix the other car. With the money up front. If he doesn't agree with it, tell him to go somewhere else where they'll most likely rip him off.
I have been here many times man - it is hard times for a lot of folks right now.

Since this is your neighbor I would say try to work with him - neighbors need to stick together, I would ask for the 33.00 from the previous tune up first off.



Then talk to him like a man, in his house if possible, he will feel more comfortable talking money in his home.

tell him what you charge - write up a bill then deduct a friendship amount -



4 hours to change at - 53.00 HR = 212.00

plus the new timing belt and gasket = 120.00



Totaling= 332.00 - I would not take more than 112 away so you will get at least 100.00 bill.



I know its a pain in the **** to change out a GEO belt, so I think your doing him a huge favor - if he disagrees, let him pay full price.



But make sure you get the 33.00 owed first, then get the money from him to buy the parts, or let him go get the parts.
since you sound like a good neighbor you should tell him that you have to charge him for the timing belt and since he still own you $33 you would like it if they payed up front if they can. Let them know that you also work for a living and this is how you pay your bills as well. and if they can't give you the money up front see if they are willing to pay you something and then pay you the rest when they can. since it sounds like they are an older couple they could've have forgotten too. but you just need to remind them about it. and let them know that you wouldn't fix it until they pay you something up front either. for how much to charge them half would be fair but if your not comfortable with that you need to find a price your comfortable with. but make sure they don't take advantage of you either because if you let them get away with it then there going to keep getting away with it. good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment